The University of Oulu is an international scientific community, with 15,000 students and approximately 3,000 employees. By combining multidisciplinary research and education, high-level infrastructure and wide cooperation with international research and educational institutes, companies and the public sector it has created a significant research and innovation hub of “Science with an Arctic Attitude”. More information https://www.oulu.fi/university/.
The Water, Energy and Environmental Engineering Research Unit (www.oulu.fi/water) focuses on research in water and wastewater purification processes, resources recovery and environmental engineering, applied and environmental microbiology as well as on hydrology and water resources engineering. Our research unit is a multinational group working in a modern, up-to-date research environment with four research groups, one of which is the Water Protection and Ecological Engineering Research Group.
The Water, Energy and Environmental Engineering Research Unit, University of Oulu, is opening a position for a doctoral student for research on ecology and metabolism of microorganisms involved in arsenic and antimony turnover in peatlands. The selected candidate will work in Water Protection and Ecological Engineering Research Group. We are looking for talented and motivated candidates aspiring to become world-leading scientists. The selected applicant will work on research tasks in a project funded by the Academy of Finland (“Capturing the unknown microbial players and genes involved in the cycling of arsenic and antimony in Northern peatland soils”; PI Dr. Katharina Kujala). The tasks include field and laboratory work, e.g. incubation studies, molecular approaches as well as bioinformatics and statistics. Further information about the project can be found on the project’s webpage: https://www.oulu.fi/water/node/63340
You should be a passionate, early stage researcher, wishing to enrich your personal development and career potential through interdisciplinary and international research coupled with high level training.
- Master’s degree in Biology (Microbiology or related), Biosciences, Biochemistry or a related field
- Broad understanding of microbial physiology and the interactions of microbes with the environment
- Experience with studying microbes in the laboratory, e.g. molecular techniques (DNA/RNA extraction, PCR, etc.), incubation studies, isolation and characterization of microbes is appreciated
- Experience in bioinformatics and statistics is appreciated
- Excellent oral and written communication skills (English)
- Students in the final year of their degree can apply if graduating before Sept 1st, 2020
- Ability to work in a quality-oriented, conscientious, creative and cooperative way
The salary is in accordance with the University salary system level 2 – 4 of the national demand level chart for teaching and research staff. In addition to the basic salary, supplementary salary will be given for personal achievement and performance, the sum rising to a maximum of 50 % of the basic salary level. Typical starting salary is thus 2,300 €, depending on the candidate’s qualification and experience.
How to apply
Applications, together with all relevant enclosures, should be submitted by using the electronic application form by May 31st, 2020. Applications via e-mail are not considered.The eligible applicants fitting best will be invited to an on-site or remote interview. All applicants will be notified when the selection process is completed.
The following documents must be attached to the application:
- Cover/motivation letter (1 – 2 pages) expressing the applicant’s interest, experience and suitability for the position
- Most recent CV (with education/previous degrees obtained, prior work/research experience, information on received research funding, publications, if applicable) according to the guidelines of the Finnish National Board on Research Integrity: https://www.tenk.fi/en/template-researchers-curriculum-vitae
- Relevant degree certificate(s), if not available at the time of application, a statement from the applicant and their supervisor(s)/University regarding the expected completion date.
- Transcript of records (list of courses and grades)
- Contact information of two senior/experienced researchers who may be asked to give a statement on the candidate.
The duration of the position is 4 years, beginning on 1st of September 2020 (or as soon as possible thereafter). A six-month trial period will be effective in the beginning of a contract.
Further details about the project are available from
Dr. Katharina Kujala (katharina.kujala[at]oulu.fi)
Further details about the research group are available from
Doc. Anna-Kaisa Ronkanen (anna-kaisa.ronkanen[at]oulu.fi)