The University of Oulu in Northern Finland, with approximately 16,000 students and 3,000 employees, is an international, multidisciplinary research university with a rich pool of creative and intellectual talent. The strengths of the University include broad, multidisciplinary research interests, a modern research and study environment, and wide cooperation with international research and educational institutes.
The Nano and Molecular Systems Research Unit (NANOMO) at the University of Oulu, Finland, is opening a two-year full-time postdoctoral researcher position. We are looking for a talented research-oriented person interested in theoretical and computational research on quantum simulations in the context of superconducting circuits.
The research profile of the successful candidate should complement the focus of the theoretical & computational physics groups at the NANOMO unit. The research focus of the postdoctoral researcher will be in the focal point of condensed matter physics, open quantum systems, quantum devices and quantum information, especially in localization, dissipation and phase transition phenomena. The present position is in the Academy of Finland research project of “Localization and dissipation in superconducting quantum simulations” led by Academy of Finland Research Fellow Matti Silveri.
The postdoctoral researcher will carry out research work within a research team, publish research results in leading international scientific journals, take part in funding acquisition, contribute in teaching (5 % of the total yearly working hours) and supervision. In addition, the postdoctoral research may participate in administrative tasks of the research unit.
The position is to be filled by a highly motivated applicant. Successful candidate must have obtained doctorate degree in physics or in a closely related field within the last 10 years but latest by the start of the contract. In addition, we appreciate
- demonstrated strong research background
- strong fundamental knowledge in condensed matter physics, open quantum systems, quantum devices, quantum information, or superconducting quantum circuits
- good record of scientific publishing
- readiness for working closely with experimentalists and other theorists
- experience in international collaboration
- skills in team working and communication
- experience in university teaching and supervision
The position requires spoken and written fluency in English.
Terms of employment
The duration of the position is two years beginning on August 1, 2020 or as soon as possible thereafter. A four-month trial period will be applied to the position.
The salary will be set at levels 5-6 of the national salary scale for the teaching and research personnel of Finnish universities. In addition, based on personal work performance, up to 50% of the job demands level can be paid. In practice, the starting salary of a new postdoctoral researcher is approximately 3400-3600 € per month depending on personal achievement and performance.
In addition to the salary, the employed person will be insured by the university and provided occupational healthcare. Finland is known as a country with a high quality of life and good healthcare system.
How to apply
Send your application using the electronic application form by May 31, 2020. The application should be written in English and include the following documents compiled as a single pdf-file:
- Motivation letter (max. 2 pages), where the following information is clearly provided:
• Research interests
• Professional experience and expertise
• Computer skills and language skills
• Contact details of one to three persons available for recommendation
- Curriculum vitae (max. 2 pages)in accordance with the guidelines of the Finnish Advisory Board on Research Integrity (http://www.tenk.fi/en/template-researchers-curriculum-vitae).
- List of publications based on the guidelines of the Academy of Finland (https://www.aka.fi/en/funding/apply-for-funding/az-index-of-application-guidelines/list-of-publications/)
- Certificates/Diplomas: Scanned copy of the original doctoral degree certificate and transcript of records and, when necessary, official translations to Finnish or English.
Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Other relevant information
The eligible applicants with best fit for the research profile expected in the position will be invited to an on-site or remote interview. All applicants will be notified when the selection process has been completed.
Academy of Finland Research Fellow
Principal investigator of the project on the localization and dissipation in superconducting circuits
Professor Marko Huttula
Head of NANOMO Research Unit