The University of Jyväskylä is a nationally and internationally significant research university and an expert on education that focuses on human and natural sciences. The University is Finland’s leading expert in teacher education and adult education, as well as the major exporter of education. The Faculty of Sport and Health Sciences is the only one in the country. The University of Jyväskylä is known for its dynamic operating culture and strong commitment to social responsibility.
The department is currently seeking to recruit staff to the position of Senior Lecturer, Accounting for the period 1.1.2018 - September 30th, 2022 or accoarding to a separate agreement
The mission of the Jyväskylä University School of Business and Economics (JSBE) is to conduct high-level research by national and international standards, and to offer quality degree education and executive education in business and economics. We contribute to the societal impact of the University of Jyväskylä by promoting university-based entrepreneurship and innovation activities.
Jyväskylä University School of Business and Economics is an active, internationally-minded and cooperative faculty in the dynamic and international University of Jyväskylä. There are 18 professorships at the JSBE, and the number of other staff is around 100. Over a thousand students study at JSBE. Each year, around 150 students graduate as Masters of Science (econ), and 13 -15 doctoral dissertations are publicly defended at JSBE.
The senior lecturer in accounting will be responsible for teaching bachelor and master students and developing actively teaching in accounting. Teaching includes lectures, exercises and supervision, including supervising of thesis. In addition, the appointed person is expected to conduct research in accounting research group and acquiring supplementary research funding. The duties of senior lecturer include also some administrative duties of the discipline of accounting.
The duties, qualification requirements and language skills of Senior Lecturer are stipulated by the University of Jyväskylä Regulations and language skills guidelines. The selected person is required to have a command of Finnish language. In certain cases, the University may grant exemption from this requirement. A good command of English language and an ability to teach in English are regarded as an advantage for the applicant.
The senior lecturer has versatile knowledge on the discipline of accounting and pedagogic knowledge and experience. Thus, the evidence for high level research, participation in research funding applications and experience for accounting education is required for the position.
The job-specific salary component of a Senior Lecturer is based on the job demands level 5-7 (EUR 2 865,30 – 3 851,33/month) according to the salary system concerning teaching and research staff at universities. In addition, a personal performance-based salary component amounting to the maximum of 46.3% of the job-specific salary component is also paid.
A trial period of four months will be used when the position is first filled.
For further information, please contact Marko Järvenpää, Senior Professor of Accounting by e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, or tel. +358 40 5767809.
The application should include:
1) A free-form motivation letter
2) Curriculum vitae, composed according to good scientific practice and considering the template for researcher´s curriculum vitae by The Finnish Advisory Board on Research Integrity (see: http://www.tenk.fi/en)
3) A numbered list of publications according to the instructions of the Academy of Finland (see: http://www.aka.fi/en/funding/how-to-apply/appendices-required/guidelines-for-list-of-publications/)
4) A short (1-2 pages) description of the applicant’s pedagogical training and teaching merits (teaching portfolio)
5) A short (2–3 pages) description of the applicant’s academic research, scientific merits and research leadership merits, including a clarification on received external funding and responsibilities in externally funded research projects
6) Applicant’s five (5) selected publications for assessment numbered in accordance with the list of publications (as a single PDF file)
Applications must be submitted by using the online application by the application deadline 27th of October 2017.