Our naturally beautiful campus in the Jyväskylä city centre is home to a dynamic multidisciplinary research university – a modern, open and collaborative community of 2,500 experts and 15,000 students seeking answers to the pivotal questions of today and tomorrow.It was here, in 1863, that Finnish-language teacher education began. Since then, the University of Jyväskylä has been serving the future.The dialogue between research, education and society is our driving force.We cherish this balance of research and education, and work to promote open thinking. We kindle the skills, knowledge and passion to live wisely for the best of humanity.
The Faculty is currently seeking to recruit an associate professor (tenure track) in health promotion 1-2 positions, from 1 September 2018 or as soon as possible thereafter, for a fixed period of five years.
Education and research in sport sciences in Finland are concentrated at the Faculty of Sport and Health Sciences of the University of Jyväskylä. Physical activity and health, as well as their relationships and promotion, are explored there from a multidisciplinary perspective, with the improvement of health, functional ability and wellbeing across the human lifespan as the key aim.
An important national responsibility of the Faculty is teacher education in sport and health sciences. There are two main lines of study at the Faculty: Sport Sciences and Health Sciences. There are three disciplinary groups at the Faculty: Biology of Physical Activity, Behavioral and Social Sciences of Sport and Health Sciences. There are also three research centres at the Faculty: the Neuromuscular Research Centre, the Gerontology Research Center and the Research Centre for Health Promotion.
The associate professor is to lead and develop the education of health education and the research of health promotion and health education. The associate professor is also responsible for the development of health education teacher education and the strengthening of the supporting research. The position requires extensive expertise in education and research on health promotion and health education, as well as evidence of research on health promotion for children and young people. Independent research is expected from the person to be recruited, utilizing the research infrastructures offered by the faculty and other research networks. The position also requires an active engagement in the development of the discipline, supervision of dissertations, development of interdisciplinary research activities, the acquisition of research funding competed on the basis of quality, and research-based teaching.
The application procedure provides more detailed information on the duties, qualification requirements and attachments, see: https://www.jyu.fi/en/workwithus/appointment-procedure
The appointment is for a fixed period of five years, see tenure track path. An especially distinguished and unquestionably qualified person may exceptionally be appointed directly to the position of professor presuming there is no candidate available who is more competent and suitable candidate for the position. The purpose of the fixed-term is, that the Associate Professor gathers enough merits for full Professor position. When an employee has been selected for a fixed-term associate professorship, an evaluation procedure is used regarding the employee’s merits for a professorship filled through an invitation procedure. The evaluation procedure shall begin before the end of the fixed-term contract. The evaluation procedure follows the same practices used in the expert evaluation procedure for filling a professorship.
The duties and qualification requirements for the position of the Associate Professor are stipulated by the University of Jyväskylä Regulations, Rector’s decision on personnel matters and language skills guidelines. The selected person is required to have a full command of Finnish language. When considered appropriate, the university may grant exemption from the language proficiency requirements. In this position, the languages of instruction are Finnish and English. Excellent English skills are thus required, as well as the ability to teach in English. Non-Finnish personnel are expected to acquire at least intermediate skills of Finnish within three years from the start of their employment.
The Associate Professor’s job-specific salary component is based on the job demands levels 7 (3 851,33 €/month) according to the salary system concerning teaching and research staff at universities. In addition, a personal performance-based salary component amounting to the maximum of 46,3% of the job-specific salary component is also paid.
Six months trial period is applied to the filling of the position.
For more information, please contact
Professor Lasse Kannas, email@example.com or
Dean Ari Heinonen, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Following documents must be included in English in PDF format to the electronic recruiting system:
1) CV composed according to good scientific practice and considering, when possible, the template for researcher´s curriculum vitae of the Finnish Advisory Board on Research Integrity (TENK) (see: http://www.tenk.fi/sites/tenk.fi/files/CV_english_270613.pdf),
2) A numbered list of publications covering the applicant’s the scientific and other publications according to the instructions of the Academy of Finland (see: http://www.aka.fi/en/funding/how-to-apply/appendices-required/guidelines-for-list-of-publications/),
3) Short (2-3 pages) explanation of the applicant’s research activities, merits in scientific work and supervision of research including acquisition of supplement funding and responsibilities in externally funded research projects,
4) Short (2-3 pages) explanation of the applicant’s pedagogical training and teaching merits (see: https://www.jyu.fi/en/workwithus/teaching-portfolio),
5) Short (2-3 pages) explanation of the applicant’s international activities and experience in societal interaction,
6) A maximum of ten publications, which must be numbered according to the list of publications (and fixed to a one pdf file).
7) Short (2-3 pages) explanation how the applicant intends to develop the research, education and societal interaction in the field of neuro research at the Faculty of Sport and Health Sciences.
Please submit your application at the latest on Friday, April 13th 2018 using the online application form.