Our naturally beautiful campus in the Jyväskylä city centre is home to a dynamic multidisciplinary research university – a modern, open and collaborative community of 2,500 experts and 15,000 students seeking answers to the pivotal questions of today and tomorrow.It was here, in 1863, that Finnish-language teacher education began. Since then, the University of Jyväskylä has been serving the future.The dialogue between research, education and society is our driving force.We cherish this balance of research and education, and work to promote open thinking. We kindle the skills, knowledge and passion to live wisely for the best of humanity.
The department is currently seeking to recruit staff to the position of
Senior Researcher in Eduacation and Adult Education, as of 1 August 2018 for five years fixed-term.
The Faculty of Education and Psychology undertakes significant, internationally recognised research. Most of the studies are published in high-level international journals, and the researchers of the faculty are sought-after partners in research and when applying for research funding. The faculty also provides high-quality education in its various disciplines. The Department of Psychology educates about a third of the psychologists graduating in Finland. Within educational sciences, particularly in teacher education, the faculty is one of Finland’s largest, and in special education it is the largest.
The Faculty of Education and Psychology comprises three departments – Education, Teacher Education and Psychology – and the Teacher Training School, which provides basic education and general upper secondary education. The faculty has 30 professorships. The number of staff is about 350, a hundred of whom work at the Teacher Training School.
The emphasis in the position is on high-quality research, national and international research collaboration and success in acquiring supplementary research funding. The research of the senior researcher is expected to focus on the key research areas of the faculty from the point of view of education and adult education. In the application (appendix 6), there should be a description of how the applicant’s research promotes the key areas of the research at the faculty.
The duties, qualification requirements and language skills of senior lecturer are stipulated by the University of Jyväskylä Regulations and language skills guidelines. The selected person is required to have a command of Finnish language. In certain cases, the University may grant exemption from this requirement. A good command of English language and an ability to teach in English are regarded as advantageous for the applicant.
The applicants are expected to have done internationally recognized high-quality research. The applicant should have experience in acquiring supplementary research funding, strategically appropriate international collaboration and good cooperation skills. In addition to these, advanced studies in adult education/education will be considered to be of importance.
The job-specific salary component of a senior lecturer is based on the job demands level 5-7 (EUR 2865,30 - 3851,33/month) according to the salary system concerning teaching and research staff at universities. In addition, a personal performance-based salary component amounting to the maximum of 46.3% of the job-specific salary component is also paid.
A trial period of four months will be used when the positions are first filled.
For further information, please contact Head of Department of Education, Leena Halttunen, firstname.lastname@example.org.
The application should include:
1) Curriculum vitae (CV), composed according to good scientific practice and considering when possible the template for researcher´s curriculum vitae by The Finnish Advisory Board on Research Integrity. See: http://www.tenk.fi/en
2) A numbered list of publications according to the instructions of the Academy of Finland (see: http://www.aka.fi/en/funding/how-to-apply/appendices-required/guidelines-for-list-of-publications/)
3) Applicant´s five (5) selected publications for assessment, numbered in accordance with the list of publications (as a single pdf-file)
4) A short (1-2 pages) description of the applicant´s padagogical training and teaching merits (teaching portfolio)
5) A short ( 1-2 pages) description of the applicats´s academic research and scientific merits
6) A short (1-2 pages) description of how the applicant intends to promote the research, education and social interaction in the department´s field of Education and Adult Education
Please submit your application at the latest on 4th of March 2018 by using the online application form.