Our naturally beautiful campus in the Jyväskylä city centre is home to a dynamic multidisciplinary research university – a modern, open and collaborative community of 2,500 experts and 15,000 students seeking answers to the pivotal questions of today and tomorrow.It was here, in 1863, that Finnish-language teacher education began. Since then, the University of Jyväskylä has been serving the future.The dialogue between research, education and society is our driving force.We cherish this balance of research and education, and work to promote open thinking. We kindle the skills, knowledge and passion to live wisely for the best of humanity.
The department is currently seeking to recruit staff to the position of Research Professor, starting January 1st, 2019.
The Finnish Institute for Educational Research (FIER) was established in 1968. FIER operates as an independent institute of the University of Jyväskylä and carries out significant, multidisciplinary educational research in Finland and internationally. FIER has a holistic focus on Finland’s education system and also learning outside the formal education system. FIER’s research activities focus on the processes of learning, teaching and guidance, the comparative assessment of school systems (e.g. the PISA survey), human-centred information technology and higher education.
FIER cooperates with educational institutions, representatives of educational administration and working life, decision-makers and the media to develop education and enhance the societal impact of research. FIER facilitates advanced researcher training in cooperation with the University faculties. The number of personnel is around eighty.
The position of the Research Professor is located in the field of higher education research, and more precisely, higher education seen as a societal phenomenon. The task of the Research Professor is to develop higher education research as a multidisciplinary field of research focusing on the relationships between higher education and society. The research activities are expected to focus on the functioning of higher education, taking into account the perspectives of individuals, higher education institutions and society. Research Professor also is responsible for leading higher education research, for strengthening higher education research infrastructure in cooperation with different stakeholders and through applying for external research funding. Research Professor also is responsible for developing doctoral studies in cooperation with other units of the University of Jyväskylä.
The plan for filling the position provides more detailed information on the duties, qualification requirements and attachments to the application. The plan is visible on the faculty’s website at https://www.jyu.fi/en/workwithus/appointment-procedure
The job-specific salary component of a research professor is based on the job demands level 8 - 11 (4656,16 €/kk - 6860,10 €/kk) according to the salary system concerning teaching and research staff at universities. In addition, a personal performance-based salary component amounting to the maximum of 46.3% of the job-specific salary component is also paid.
For further information, please contact: Head of Department, professor Jussi Välimaa, email@example.com, +358400248112
The application should include:
1. Curriculum vitae (CV), composed according to good scientific practice and considering when possible the template for researcher´s curriculum vitae by The Finnish Advisory Board on Research Integrity. See: http://www.tenk.fi/en
2. A numbered list of all scientific and other publications – drawn up according to the categorisation of the Academy of Finland – with which the candidate wishes to prove his or her eligibility and merits for the post (i.e. A. Peer-reviewed scientific articles; B. Non-refereed scientific articles; C. Scientific books (monographs); D. Publications intended for professional communities; E. Publications intended for the general public, linked to the applicant’s research; F. Public artistic and design activities; G. Theses; H. Patents and invention disclosures; I. Audiovisual material, ICT software);
3. A brief (2-3 pages) written account of the applicant’s scientific research, merits in scientific activities and in supervision of research work including an account of acquired complementary research funding and the responsibilities related to the research conducted through such funding and in international activities;
4. A brief (2-3 pages) written account of pedagogical training and teaching merits (teaching portfolio);
5. A brief (2-3 pages) written account of applicant’s societal interaction and international cooperation;
6. A maximum of 10 main publications, numbered in accordance with the list of publications;
7. A brief (2-3 pages) account of how the applicant plans to develop the research, teaching and societal interaction related to the domain of the post in the Finnish Institute for Educational Research.
Please submit your application at the latest on August 31st, 2018 using the online application form.