Our naturally beautiful campus in the Jyväskylä city centre is home to a dynamic multidisciplinary research university – a modern, open and collaborative community of 2,500 experts and 15,000 students seeking answers to the pivotal questions of today and tomorrow. It was here, in 1863, that Finnish-language teacher education began. Since then, the University of Jyväskylä has been serving the future. The dialogue between research, education and society is our driving force. We cherish this balance of research and education, and work to promote open thinking. We kindle the skills, knowledge and passion to live wisely for the best of humanity.
Associate Professor (tenure track), Political Science starting September 1st 2019 for a fixed-term period of five years.
The focus areas of research in Political Science are political theory, democracy and parliamentarianism, history of political thought, politics of language and world politics.
The applicant is expected to strengthen the research profile of the Department of Social Sciences and Philosophy in the focus areas of Political Science, particularly in the following ones: democracy and parliamentarianism, politics of language and world politics. An internationally high-standard research profile and experience in leading research groups are regarded as merits.
The duties of the Associate Professor include active research work as well as launching and implementing research projects. Moreover, they include supervision of doctoral dissertations and master’s theses, as well as teaching at under- and post-graduate levels. Associate Professor’s tasks also include promotion and development of research, teaching and post-graduate education in Political Science through his/her own scientific activities. Acquiring external research funding is also part of the duties.
The application procedure provides more detailed information on the duties, qualification requirements and attachments, see: https://www.jyu.fi/en/workwithus/appointment-procedure.The qualification requirements should be met before the closing time of this apply.
The appointment is for a fixed period of five years, see tenure track path. An especially distinguished and unquestionably qualified person may exceptionally be appointed directly to the position of professor presuming there is no candidate available who is more competent and suitable candidate for the position. The purpose of the fixed-term is, that the Associate Professor gathers enough merits for full Professor position. When an employee has been selected for a fixed-term associate professorship, an evaluation procedure is used regarding the employee’s merits for a professorship filled through an invitation procedure. The evaluation procedure shall begin before the end of the fixed-term contract. The evaluation procedure follows the same practices used in the expert evaluation procedure for filling a professorship.
The Associate Professor’s job-specific salary component is based on the job demands levels 7 (3 889,84 €/month) according to the salary system concerning teaching and research staff at universities. In addition, a personal performance-based salary component amounting to the maximum of 46,3% of the job-specific salary component is also paid.
Six months trial period is applied to the filling of the position.
For more information, please contact Professor Mika Ojakangas, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, tel. +358 40 805 4177.
The application must include the following documents in English (the name of the applicant must be mentioned in the file name):
2. A numbered list of all scientific and other publications – drawn up according to the categorisation of the Academy of Finland – with which the candidate wishes to demonstrate his or her eligibility an merits for the post;
3. A brief (2-3 pages) written account of the applicant’s scientific research, merits in scientific activities and supervision of research work, including an account of acquired complementary research funding and the responsibilities related to the research conducted through such funding and in international activities;
4. A brief (2-3 pages) written account of pedagogical training and teaching merits i.e. teaching portfolio;
5. A brief (2-3 pages) written account of the applicant’s societal interaction and international cooperation;
6. A maximum of ten publications, numbered in accordance with the list of publications;
7. A brief (2-3 pages) account of how the applicant intends to develop research, teaching and societal interaction in the field of Political Science.
Please submit your application at the latest on October 31st 2018 using the online application form.