Our naturally beautiful campus in the Jyväskylä city centre is home to a dynamic multidisciplinary research university – a modern, open and collaborative community of 2,500 experts and 15,000 students seeking answers to the pivotal questions of today and tomorrow. It was here, in 1863, that Finnish-language teacher education began. Since then, the University of Jyväskylä has been serving the future. The dialogue between research, education and society is our driving force. We cherish this balance of research and education, and work to promote open thinking. We kindle the skills, knowledge and passion to live wisely for the best of humanity.
Department of Language and Communication Studies is currently seeking to recruit an
Associate Professor (tenure track), Journalism, starting August 1st 2019 for a fixed-term period of five years.
The duties of the associate professor include effective and high-level international research and publication activity, initiating and leading research projects, acquiring external research funding, active participation in national and international networks, and teaching and supervision at undergraduate, graduate and postgraduate level.
A successful applicant needs to demonstrate solid experience of research and teaching in the field of journalism. In the evaluation of the applicants’ merits a special emphasis will be placed on strong international research profile and teaching experience. Previous research in the areas of digital media, online communication, new forms of journalism and changing journalistic work will be considered an asset. Success in acquiring external funding, supervision of theses, and administrative experience will also be considered an asset.
The advertised position is linked to two core areas in the research profile of the University of Jyväskylä: Languages, Culture and Communities in Global Change Processes and Information Technology and the Human in the Knowledge Society. The position also supports the research strategy of the Department of Language and Communication Studies, particularly by strengthening research in the fields of digital communication, contemporary trends in journalism and technologically mediated interaction.
The appointment is for a fixed period of five years, see tenure track
path. An especially distinguished and unquestionably qualified person may exceptionally be appointed directly to the position of professor presuming there is no candidate available who is more competent and suitable candidate for the position. The purpose of the fixed-term is that the Associate Professor gathers enough merits for full Professor position. When an employee has been selected for a fixed-term associate professorship, an evaluation procedure is used regarding the employee’s merits for a professorship filled through an invitation procedure. The evaluation procedure shall begin before the end of the fixed-term contract. The evaluation procedure follows the same practices used in the expert evaluation procedure for filling a professorship.
The Associate Professor’s job-specific salary component is based on the job demands levels 7 (3 889,84 €/month) according to the salary system concerning teaching and research staff at universities. In addition, a personal performance-based salary component amounting to the maximum of 46,3% of the job-specific salary component is also paid.
Six months trial period is applied to the filling of the position.
For more information, please contact Professor Mikko Villi, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
, tel. +358 40 805 4831 or Head of Department, Professor Mika Lähteenmäki, e-mail: email@example.com
, tel. +358 40 805 3206.
The application must include the following documents in English (the name of the applicant must be mentioned in the file name):
- A CV of the applicant, composed according to good scientific practice and considering, when possible, the template for researcher´s curriculum vitae of the Finnish Advisory Board on Research Integrity (TENK). See: http://www.tenk.fi/sites/tenk.fi/files/CV_english_270613.pdf;
- A numbered list of all scientific and other publications – drawn up according to the categorisation of the Academy of Finland – with which the candidate wishes to demonstrate his or her eligibility an merits for the post;
- A brief (2-3 pages) written account of the applicant’s scientific research, merits in scientific activities and supervision of research work, including an account of acquired complementary research funding and the responsibilities related to the research conducted through such funding and in international activities;
- A brief (2-3 pages) written account of pedagogical training and teaching merits. See: Teaching portfolio model;
- A brief (2-3 pages) written account of the applicant’s societal interaction and international cooperation;
- A maximum of ten publications, numbered in accordance with the list of publications;
- A brief (2-3 pages) account of how the applicant intends to develop research, teaching and societal interaction in the field of journalism.
Please submit your application at the latest on November 11th 2018 using the online application form.