Our naturally beautiful campus in the Jyväskylä city centre is home to a dynamic multidisciplinary research university – a modern, open and collaborative community of 2,500 experts and 15,000 students seeking answers to the pivotal questions of today and tomorrow. It was here, in 1863, that Finnish-language teacher education began. Since then, the University of Jyväskylä has been serving the future. The dialogue between research, education and society is our driving force. We cherish this balance of research and education, and work to promote open thinking. We kindle the skills, knowledge and passion to live wisely for the best of humanity.
The Department of Social Sciences and Philosophy is currently seeking to recruit
Senior Lecturer in Philosophy for a fixed term period from 1 January 2019 until 31 August 2021.
Specialized in research on social, political and cultural transformations, the Department of Social Sciences and Philosophy is one of the leading units in the field of social sciences in Finland. Our strengths include high quality of research, good international reputation, active participation in public discussion as well as supportive and student-friendly environment.The focus areas of research at the Department of Social Sciences and Philosophy are:
The vacancy is allocated to the Department of Social Sciences and Philosophy in the discipline of philosophy, whose key areas of focus include history of philosophy, phenomenology, and social philosophy. The applicant is expected to strengthen the research and teaching profile of the Department of Social Sciences and Philosophy in one of the areas of focus of philosophy.
In the task of Senior Lecturer particular emphasis is on teaching and supervising in Bachelor’s, Master’s and Doctoral programmes. The Senior Lecturer is also expected to conduct his/her own research and actively apply for research funding. His/her research interests are expected to lie in the aforementioned areas of focus of philosophy.
More information on the duties of Senior Lecturer involved and on the ways of meeting the qualification requirements, see the University of Jyväskylä Regulations and language skills guidelines. The Senior Lecturer is required a full command of the teaching language, Finnish. When considered appropriate the university may grant exemption from the language proficiency requirements. Ability to teach in English is regarded as a merit.
The Senior Lecturer’s job-specific salary component is based on the job demands level 5-7 according to the salary system concerning teaching and research personnel at universities (2893,95- 3889,84 €/month). In addition, a personal performance-based salary component amounting to the maximum of 46,3% of the job-specific salary component is also paid.
A trial period of six months will be used when the position is first filled. The reason for the fixed-term employment is substitution.
For more Information, please contact: Prof. Mika Ojakangas, tel. +358 40 805 4177, email: email@example.com or Prof. Jari Kaukua, tel. +358 40 805 4147, email: firstname.lastname@example.org .
The application should include in pdf-format (name of the applicant must be mentioned in the file name):
1) Motivation letter.
2) Curriculum vitae, composed according to good scientific practice and considering the template for researcher´s curriculum vitae by The Finnish Advisory Board on Research Integrity TENK). (see: http://www.tenk.fi/sites/tenk.fi/files/CV_english_270613.pdf),
3) A numbered list of publications covering the applicant’s the scientific and other publications according to the instructions of the Academy of Finland (see: http://www.aka.fi/en/funding/how-to-apply/appendices-required/guidelines-for-list-of-publications/).
4) A short (2-3 pages) explanation of the applicant’s pedagogical training and teaching merits (see: https://www.jyu.fi/hytk/en/faculty/administration/trial-lecture-and-teaching-portfolio )
5) A short description (2-3 pages) of the research activities of the applicant.
6) Applicant’s three (3) selected publications for assessment.
Please submit your application at the latest on 15.8.2018 using the online application form.