Our naturally beautiful campus in the Jyväskylä city centre is home to a dynamic multidisciplinary research university – a modern, open and collaborative community of 2,500 experts and 15,000 students seeking answers to the pivotal questions of today and tomorrow.It was here, in 1863, that Finnish-language teacher education began. Since then, the University of Jyväskylä has been serving the future.The dialogue between research, education and society is our driving force.We cherish this balance of research and education, and work to promote open thinking. We kindle the skills, knowledge and passion to live wisely for the best of humanity.
The department of psychology is currently seeking to recruit staff to the position of an Associate professor in wellbeing and motivation in working life (tenure track), from 1 August 2019 or as soon as possible thereafter, for a fixed period of five years.
The Faculty of Education and Psychology undertakes significant, internationally recognised research. Most of the studies are published in high-level international journals, and the researchers of the faculty are sought-after partners in research and when applying for research funding. The faculty also provides high-quality education in its various disciplines. The Department of Psychology educates about a third of the psychologists graduating in Finland. Within educational sciences, particularly in teacher education, the faculty is one of Finland’s largest, and in special education it is the largest.
The Faculty of Education and Psychology comprises three departments – Education, Teacher Education and Psychology – and the Teacher Training School, which provides basic education and general upper secondary education. The faculty has 30 professorships. The number of staff is about 350, a hundred of whom work at the Teacher Training School.
The position of associate professor at the Department of Psychology is closely related to the University of Jyväskylä’s strategic core field of learning, teaching and the learning and growth environments that support development. The applicant is expected to strengthen the profile of the Department of Psychology in working life research by a focus on wellbeing and motivation in working life. The applicant is also expected to contribute to the development of strategic networks and synergy in national networks (e.g., joint network with Tampere university, WOP) and international strategically selected networks.
The teaching assignments include lectures and other courses in the basic, intermediate and advanced level widely related to the field. Continuous development of teaching and management duties related to teaching and other academic obligations are part of the duties of associate professor. Associate professor supervises Bachelor's and Master's Theses and is expected to acquire supplementary funding for doctoral and post-doc researchers.
The selected candidate is required to have excellent evidence of scientific research and publication, international networking, acquisition of supplementary research funding, as well as teaching and thesis supervision.
The plan for filling the position provides more detailed information on the duties, qualification requirements and attachments to the application. The plan is visible on the faculty’s website at https://www.jyu.fi/en/workwithus/appointment-procedure
The position is filled as a fixed-term associate professorship of five years (tenure track), (see the tenure track model for professorship). An especially distinguished and unquestionably qualified person may exceptionally be appointed directly to the position of professor presuming there is no candidate available who is more competent and suitable candidate for the position. When an employee has been selected for a fixed-term associate professorship, an evaluation procedure is used regarding the employee’s merits for a professorship filled through an invitation procedure. The evaluation procedure shall begin before the end of the fixed-term contract. The evaluation procedure follows the same practices used in the expert evaluation procedure for filling a professorship.
The job-specific salary component of the associate professor is based on the job demand level 7 (€ 3903,56/month) of the salary system concerning teaching and research staff at Finnish universities. In addition, a personal performance-based salary component amounting to 6-50 % of the job-specific salary component is also paid.
A trial period of six months will be used when the position is first filled.
For further information, please contact: Head of the department of psychology, professor Juha Hola, email email@example.com, tel. +358 40 8053488.
The application should include in pdf-format and in English:
1) Letter of application/motivation letter
2) CV of the applicant, composed according to good scientific practice and considering, when possible, the template for researcher’s curriculum vitae by the Finnish Advisory Board on Research Integrity. See http://www.tenk.fi/en;
3) Numbered list of all scientific and other publications – drawn up according to the categorisation of the Academy of Finland – with which the candidate wishes to demonstrate his/her eligibility and merits for the post: (A) Peer-reviewed scientific articles; (B) Non-refereed scientific articles; (C) Scientific books (monographs); (D) Publications intended for professional communities; (E) Publications intended for the general public, linked to the applicant’s research; (F) Public artistic and design activities; (G) Theses; (H) Patents and invention disclosures; (I) Audiovisual material, ICT software;
4) Brief (2–3 pages) written account of the applicant’s scientific research, merits in scientific activities and in supervision of research work, including an account of acquired complementary research funding and the responsibilities related to the research conducted through such funding;
5) Brief (2–3 pages) written account of pedagogical training and teaching merits (teaching portfolio);
6) Brief (2–3 pages) written account of the applicant’s societal interaction and international cooperation;
7) Maximum of 10 main publications, numbered in accordance with the list of publications;
8) Brief (2–3 pages) account of how the applicant plans to develop the research, teaching and societal interaction related to the domain of the post in the Faculty of Education and Psychology.
Please submit your application at the latest on 31 March 2019 using the online application form.