Our naturally beautiful campus in the Jyväskylä city centre is home to a dynamic multidisciplinary research university – a modern, open and collaborative community of 2,500 experts and 15,000 students seeking answers to the pivotal questions of today and tomorrow.It was here, in 1863, that Finnish-language teacher education began. Since then, the University of Jyväskylä has been serving the future.The dialogue between research, education and society is our driving force.We cherish this balance of research and education, and work to promote open thinking. We kindle the skills, knowledge and passion to live wisely for the best of humanity.
The department of education is currently seeking to recruit staff to the position of an Associate professor in Efficacy of teaching, support and learning intervention (tenure track), from 1 August 2019 or as soon as possible thereafter, for a fixed period of five years.
The Faculty of Education and Psychology undertakes significant, internationally recognised research. Most of the studies are published in high-level international journals, and the researchers of the faculty are sought-after partners in research and when applying for research funding. The faculty also provides high-quality education in its various disciplines. The Department of Psychology educates about a third of the psychologists graduating in Finland. Within educational sciences, particularly in teacher education, the faculty is one of Finland’s largest, and in special education it is the largest.
The Faculty of Education and Psychology comprises three departments – Education, Teacher Education and Psychology – and the Teacher Training School, which provides basic education and general upper secondary education. The faculty has 30 professorships. The number of staff is about 350, a hundred of whom work at the Teacher Training School.
The position of an associate professor at the Department of Education is closely related to the University of Jyväskylä's strategic core field of learning, teaching and the learning and growth environments that support development. The area of responsibility of the position focuses on efficacy of teaching, support, and learning interventions. The position is linked to the strategic emphases of the profiling action MultiLeTe1 (Multidisciplinary Research on Learning and Teaching, Profiling) coordinated by the Faculty between years 2015-2019 and in particular its sub-area "Intervention and prevention of learning disabilities and problems in motivation".
The duties of an associate professor include the acquisition of supplementary research funding, the launching and leading of research projects, and high-level publishing activity. The focus of teaching is on advanced and doctoral studies, in particular contents linked with special education, efficacy of support and pedagogy, assessment, and interventions. In addition, the applicant is expected to actively engage in furtheting the societal impact of research findings, e.g. in development of education and working life.
The Department of Education is looking for a researcher actively developing her/his career, possessing excellent research merits, and having versatile expertise in the field of the job, efficacy of teaching, support, and learning interventions. The approaches linked to this kind of expertise and research orientation can be multidisciplinary.
The plan for filling the position provides more detailed information on the duties, qualification requirements and attachments to the application. The plan is visible on the faculty's website at https://www.jyu.fi/en/workwithus/appointment-procedure
The position is filled as a fixed-term associate professorship of five years (tenure track), (see the tenure track model for professorship). An especially distinguished and unquestionably qualified person may exceptionally be appointed directly to the position of professor presuming there is no candidate available who is more competent and suitable candidate for the position. When an employee has been selected for a fixed-term associate professorship, an evaluation procedure is used regarding the employee’s merits for a professorship filled through an invitation procedure. The evaluation procedure shall begin before the end of the fixed-term contract. The evaluation procedure follows the same practices used in the expert evaluation procedure for filling a professorship.
The job-specific salary component of an associate professor is based on the job demands level 7 (EUR 3903,56/month) according to the salary system concerning teaching and research staff at universities. In addition, a personal performance-based salary component amounting to 6-50 % of the job-specific salary component is also paid.
A trial period of six months will be used when the position is first filled.
For further information, please contact: Head of the Department of Education, Dr. Leena Halttunen, email email@example.com, tel. +358 50 4413677.
The application should include in pdf-format and in English:
1) Letter of application/motivation letter
2) CV of the applicant, composed according to good scientific practice and considering, when possible, the template for researcher’s curriculum vitae by the Finnish Advisory Board on Research Integrity. See http://www.tenk.fi/en;
3) Numbered list of all scientific and other publications – drawn up according to the categorisation of the Academy of Finland – with which the candidate wishes to demonstrate his/her eligibility and merits for the post: (A) Peer-reviewed scientific articles; (B) Non-refereed scientific articles; (C) Scientific books (monographs); (D) Publications intended for professional communities; (E) Publications intended for the general public, linked to the applicant’s research; (F) Public artistic and design activities; (G) Theses; (H) Patents and invention disclosures; (I) Audiovisual material, ICT software;
4) Brief (2–3 pages) written account of the applicant’s scientific research, merits in scientific activities and in supervision of research work, including an account of acquired complementary research funding and the responsibilities related to the research conducted through such funding;
5) Brief (2–3 pages) written account of pedagogical training and teaching merits (teaching portfolio);
6) Brief (2–3 pages) written account of the applicant’s societal interaction and international cooperation;
7) Maximum of 10 main publications, numbered in accordance with the list of publications;
8) Brief (2–3 pages) account of how the applicant plans to develop the research, teaching and societal interaction related to the domain of the post in the Faculty of Education and Psychology.
Please submit your application at the latest on 31 March 2019 using the online application form.