The University of Eastern Finland, UEF, is one of the largest multidisciplinary universities in Finland. We offer education in nearly one hundred major subjects, and are home to approximately 15,500 students and 2,500 members of staff. We operate in Joensuu and Kuopio. In international rankings, we are ranked among the leading universities in the world.
The Faculty of Science and Forestry operates on the Kuopio and Joensuu campuses of the University of Eastern Finland. The mission of the faculty is to carry out internationally recognised scientific research and to offer research-education in the fields of natural sciences and forest sciences. The faculty invests in all of the strategic research areas of the university. The faculty’s environments for research and learning are international, modern and multidisciplinary. The faculty has approximately 3,800 Bachelor’s and Master’s degree students and some 490 postgraduate students. The number of staff amounts to 560. http://www.uef.fi/en/lumet/etusivu
We are now inviting applications for
a Senior Researcher (Computational Thinking) position, School of Computing, Joensuu Campus
The Senior Researcher will join the educational technology group at the UEF School of Computing. The edTech group has a strong doctoral programme, involving 45 doctoral students from 19 different countries and more than 20 PhD graduates since 2005, and the Senior Researcher will be strongly involved with the group’s research and education activities. The work will be done in close co-operation with the DIGILEARN research profile area, especially with the School of Educational Sciences and Psychology.
The work consists primarily of independent research and development in the area of computational thinking; specifically its teaching, evaluation, and educational tools. The research and development work is done in teams of researchers from computer science and educational research. In order to succeed, the candidate is expected to have experience in the development of e-learning solutions.
- To co-lead the development and research of e-learning tools and e-learning activities on CT.
- To conduct research on educational technology and computational thinking.
- To prepare scientific publications and presentations of research results.
- To coordinate an international network of CT researchers and seminars.
- To supervise MSc and PhD students and co-publish with them in high quality research venues.
- To contribute to grant-writing of funding proposals on the topic.
- A light teaching load.
- A PhD in Computer Science or in a closely related discipline.
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
- A solid track record in publishing both in teams and independently.
- Priority will be offered to applicants with a record in both technology development and educational theory or research.
A person to be appointed as a senior researcher shall hold a suitable doctoral degree and have good teaching skills. Positions of senior researchers may be filled permanently or for a fixed term (UEF University Regulations, Section 31).
English may be used as the language of instruction and supervision in this position.
The position will be filled for a fixed term from January 1, 2019 to August 31, 2022. The position is filled for a fixed term due to it being a fixed-term position in the four-stage research career model.
The salary of the position is determined in accordance with the salary system of Finnish universities and is based on levels 6 - 7 of the job requirement level chart for teaching and research staff (€3,374.77 – 3,889.84/month). In addition to the job requirement component, the salary includes a personal performance component, which may be a maximum of 46.3% of the job requirement component.
For further information on the position, please contact: Professor Markku Tukiainen, tel. +358 29 445 3653, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org For further information on the application procedure, please contact: Executive Head of Administration Arja Hirvonen, tel. +358 29 445 3002, e-mail: email@example.com.
A probationary period is applied to all new members of the staff.
The electronic application should contain the following appendices:
- a résumé or CV
- a list of publications
- a portfolio of teaching merits
- research proposal with the emphasis on CT (max. 5 pages)
- copies of the applicant's academic degree certificates/ diplomas, and copies of certificates / diplomas relating to the applicant’s language proficiency, if not indicated in the academic degree certificates/diplomas
The application needs to be submitted no later than 17 October, 2018 (by 24.00 hours Finnish time) by using the electronic application form (please, do not send applications by email). Please click on the "apply for the job" link to submit your application.