Postdoctoral Researcher position (fixed-term) for the period of 1 April 2019 – 31 December 2020.
The start of employment is negotiable. The position is fixed-term for 21 months with a possibility for extension. Trial period is 4 months.
We are seeking a highly motivated computational biologist to join the research groups of Dr Teemu Niiranen (Department of Clinical Medicine) and Dr Leo Lahti (Department of Mathematics and Statistics) as a Postdoctoral Researcher. We work on a wide range of topics with a current focus on multi-omics analysis in large-scale population cohorts. The research can comprise both applied and methodological aspects depending on the candidate’s interests and expertise.
The duties of Postdoctoral Researcher include the analysis of population-level omics data (metagenomics, genomics, metabolomics etc.) aiming at groundbreaking biological discoveries. The key data sources include comprehensively phenotyped international human cohorts of up to tens of thousands of participants whose plasma and fecal samples have been analyzed in leading laboratories using state-of-the-art mass spectrometry and high-throughput (metagenomic) sequencing. Different project areas related to multi-omics data integration, analysis of longitudinal cohort data, and the discovery of personalized disease biomarkers are available.
Qualification requirements for the position of a Postdoctoral Researcher are stated in the Rules of Procedure of the University of Turku. Postdoctoral Researcher is required to have an applicable doctoral degree. They should also be able to conduct research independently and possess teaching skills required in the position.
A suitable candidate has:
- PhD in Biostatistics, Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Computer Science, Biology or a related field
- Relevant background knowledge including proven bioinformatics skills and a solid publication track record
- Experience in statistical data analysis, integration, and visualization
- Fluency in at least one data science language (such as Python, R, Julia)
- Ability to work both independently and in a team
- Willingness to learn new and multidisciplinary skills as needed
- Good communication and interpersonal skills and English language skills
- Good scientific writing skills
- Due to special requirements of the funding foundation, the applicant is expected to master the Finnish language well enough to operate in Finnish and to communicate in the language with others in the research community.
We also appreciate the following:
- Familiarity with processing metagenomic, metabolomic, and genomic data
- Experience with Linux/Unix environment
- Experience with computing clusters, pipelines of batch jobs or cloud- and high-performance computing
- Experience in open research software development, open science, and outreach
The salary is determined in accordance with the salary system for universities. The salary of Postdoctoral Researcher is at levels 4–6 on the job demands chart of teaching and research personnel. The job-related salary element is 2500.06–3374.18 euros per month. In addition, a personal salary element will be paid. The personal salary element is a maximum of 50 % of the job-related salary element.
Why Join Us
We are a team of young scientists with a solid track record of successful mentoring, inter-institutional international collaborations in multi-disciplinary research ranging from classical clinical epidemiology to the development of targeted algorithmic data analysis and machine learning methods. Our collaborators for this project come from several top five universities in the world, allowing for excellent networking opportunities with leading researchers from a wide spectrum of fields.
How to Apply
Application deadline has been extended until 25 January 2019 (23:59). Previously submitted applications will be taken into consideration in the recruitment process. Applications must be submitted via the electronic application form of the University of Turku. A link to the application is available at the beginning of this announcement (Apply for the job). The application should be written in English and include a motivation letter (one page), CV (max 4 pages), list of publications, copies of relevant degree certificates, and contact information of 1-2 referees.
For further information about the position, please contact Dr. Teemu Niiranen (email@example.com). For possible technical support with the application system, please contact HR Specialist Henna Huovinen (firstname.lastname@example.org, tel. +358 50 382 1869).